The use of several strategies changes the environmental and economic sustainability of solid waste management. Establishment of environmentally compatible national strategy, regulations and standards, and their strict enforcement is key to pollution prevention across all environmental media-soil, water, air and noise pollution. Most industrialized countries have national and community waste management strategies and legislation in many instances, these are frequently upgraded. Many developing countries lack such waste management strategy, regulation and standards and it is therefore essential to formulate such a waste engagement strategy and enact legislation.
Waste Management Legislation
The waste management strategy should follow the principles of integrated waste management and sustainable development along with the identification of jurisdiction and obligation of different stakeholders involved in waste management patching and the system. In the planning, designing and enacting of waste management legislation, proper attention has to be paid to involve all aspects of integrated waste management and sustainable development, including at least:
- Priorities of solid waste management.
- Protection of public health, safety and the environment-health and safety regulations and standard for waste processing, recycling and reuse, storage, collection and transportation, resource recovery, intermediate treatment and final disposal.
- Responsibilities of different stakeholders involved in solid waste management.
- Provision for education and information dissemination to the whole community.
- Standardization of waste categories,
- Standardization of various aspects of waste management,
- Financial provision – provision for collection of Tax, fees, charge, incorporation of appropriate economic instrument to persuade the reduction of waste source of generation , etc.
In many situations, all-purpose comprehensive legislation is more powerful at the initial stage of development of such legislation than a series of acts aimed of different purposes.